Quincy Massachusetts History

The city of Quincy, Massachusetts, is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the state of Massachusetts, but its boating scene deserves the same billing. Tucked away on the south shore of Boston, the Boston Marriott Quincy Hotel offers the best of both worlds: a luxurious hotel and great views of Boston Harbor. There is hardly a tourist in sight, but Quincy is home to a number of historic sites, such as the Old Colony Railroad (now closed), which provided Quincy with many passenger trains every day. Quincy was the first station of the New England Railroad and the last station of its kind in Massachusetts.

No day trip to Quincy would be complete without the delicious seafood that has been served to its residents and visitors since 1964. Located on the south shore of Boston Harbor, just a few miles from the city's waterfront, the restaurant is one of the most popular in Massachusetts.

The city was named after John Quincy Adams, a nobleman descended from the nobles who forced King John to sign Magna Carta in 1215 and who already had land here in 1635. After the American Revolution, Quincy was split off from Braintree in 1792 and officially incorporated in 1888 as an independent city named Col. John Adams (also Colonel) Quincy, but made a city in 1888. The new city was named in honor of President John F. Kennedy's great-grandfather and John Q. Adams' son.

A cultured Boston aristocrat, Quincy was able to feed his family and maintain himself as a member of the Boston City Council, a position he held until his death.

Another interesting piece of Quincy history is that America's first commercial railroad was built to transport Quincy granite to Charlestown for the construction of the Bunker Hill Monument. In 1884, America's first commercial railroad was established to transport Quincy's granite from Charlottestown to Bunker Hill and the monument in 1885.

Quincy is home to a commuter boat system that crosses the Boston Harbor, and subway service is available on the MBTA Red Line and Quincy Line. There are four subway stations in Quincy, all along the MBTA's red line. With these stops, the city offers a great option for commuters who do not travel by car to and from Boston.

Although not part of the national park, there are also some fascinating historical sights. Other nearby locations include the United First Parish Church, where the president and his wife are buried. Known as the "Church of Presidents," this historic church was built in 1828 with funds from John Quincy Adams. The building was renovated in 1972 by the Quincy Historical Society and now houses the new Quincy History Museum.

The exhibition "Quincy's Stone Ships and Thinking" offers a fascinating insight into the history of the shipbuilding industry in Quincy and its impact on the city.

Most of the content belongs to the estate of John Quincy Adams, who was proficient in more than 10 languages and a diplomat who solved the war of 1812. The property is also home to Elizabeth Quincy, the daughter of one of America's most influential political figures. Elizabeth's father, John Quincy, was active in colonial government and served as speaker of the Massachusetts National Assembly for 40 years. His granddaughter was strongly influenced by her father and his granddaughter Elizabeth Adams (1811 - 1885) was born in Quincy in 1825 and died after her son John Quincy Adams was elected President of the United States in 1825.

Colonel Quincy was responsible for the construction of the line that would produce the first railroad in the United States, the Quincy Line. He was also a justice of the peace, and cases were heard in Quincy, as well as in New York City, Boston, Washington, D.C., and other cities.

Josiah Quincy was born on February 4, 1772 in Boston, Massachusetts, and married Judith by chance. Quincy produced a great man who can be called Edmund Quincy, a capable jurist who was born here on October 24, 1681 and died in London on February 23, 1738. He was a widower when he arrived, but he was married to Judith, a daughter of John Quincy and his first wife Elizabeth.

Next door is Hancock Cemetery, which was founded around 1640 and named after John Hancock's father, and is now permanently moored. This colonial house, built in the 1770s by the revolutionary patriot Colonel Josiah Quincy as a country residence, is said to have served as a lookout point from which patriots could watch British ships sailing through Boston harbor.

More About Quincy

More About Quincy